Monday, February 19, 2007

Race for your city 2

I was thinking, that this challenge is now over half done, it may be time to think about Race for your City 2. My thought on this would be to have less teams with more team members to have a more balanced challenge.

I was thinking, lets find cities with interesting landmarks and use that city as your sponsor city. As the challenge progresses, we can all learn more about that landmark. I was thinking maybe 50 runners per landmark/city and maybe 12 cities with a focus on 2 landmark/cities per month. If there is a landmark that you have visited and want to run for it, post a comment here.

Some examples:

1) New York City - Statue of Liberty
2) France - Eiffel Tower
3) Arizona - Grand Canyon
4) Colorado - 14'ers
5) Florida - Disney World

Or we could do the challenge by region:

US: West - Mountain (13 states) – WA, OR, CA, AK, HI, AZ, NM, CO, UT, NV, WY, ID, MT
US: Mid West –North Central (12 states) – MO, KS, IA, NE, MN, SD, ND, OH, IN, IL, WI, MI
US: South – South Central (8 states) – TX, OK, AR, LA, MS, AL, TN, KY
US: South Atlantic (9 states) – FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, WV, DC, MD, DE
US: NorthEast (9 states) – PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, VT, ME, NH
Canada
UK
Italy
Australia
Asia


I don't get out much, so I would need a lot of help finding a great list of landmarks to race for. The number 12 isn't set in stone, we can have more or less.

If anyone thinks this is a good thought for race for your city 2. Let me know and we can start a list of landmarks/cities and start a poll for which ones we should have. Maybe we can have some kind of random number generator to make teams completely random.

This is all just a thought.

Thanks
1Miletogo

9 comments:

Alexander Belisle said...

Another possibility would be to divide US and Europe by geographical sections e.g. East, Mid-West, South, U.K., Italy etc. This way you could have large groups and still maintain cultural and social identities.

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of regoins, that way cities with only a few runners would have a fighting vhance, rather than trying to compete 3 vs. like 20.

Anonymous said...

In theory I like the idea of an equal number of people on each team. In practice I have no idea how easy it will be to form competitive teams this way.

Regions and landmarks are both interesting ideas. Though from what I hear the Metropolis of Lodi, CA really is big enough that it could be considered a region of its own. ;-)

Anonymous said...

If you are looking for landmarks, maybe you could use the ones nominated as candidates for the "new 7 wonders of the world" and our miles could be an unofficial selection process

http://www.new7wonders.com/index.php

Anonymous said...

I registered in the Race for you City Challenge for Columbia, SC and I noticed that the city is listed but there are no runners listed under it. I do however show up on the individuals list. My user name is CarolinaBabe. How do I get this fixed?

1miletogo said...

CarolinaBabe, I have requested that you be added to Columbia, I don't know why you weren't listed. If you changed your user ID you would have been removed.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could make it Race of your Capital City.....

Matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Here's a wild thought, although it applies more to RFYC I (or a similar comp next year)...

Get a real-world race to consider the group a running club, and give exemptions (entries) for a representative from the top few cities. The representatives would battle it out, like the playoffs. An obvious choice would be the NYC marathon with their Lance/Nike+ tie-in....